How to Reset Check Engine Light on RAM 1500
Resetting the check engine light on a RAM 1500 is easier than you may think! Just follow these three simple steps to reset your RAM 1500 check engine light:
- Disconnect the cable from your negative battery terminal
- Wait for at least 20 minutes
- Reconnect your battery cable
By following these steps, you will reset the computer system in your RAM 1500. In some older models, you might also have to drive roughly 50 miles to let the computer recalibrate. Also, keep in mind that this system will reset many electronic systems in your truck.
Resetting the check engine light on a RAM 1500 is a pretty straightforward undertaking! However, you should always understand why your check engine light was turning on in the first place. Learn more in this McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram guide below.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
Your RAM 1500 could be setting off your check engine light for a number of reasons. These reasons can range from something as simple as your gas cap not being secured tightly, to bigger issues like having an engine misfire. No matter what, when you see the check engine light on your dash, you should determine the problem as soon as possible.
- Make Sure it’s the Check Engine Light: With so many warning lights built into new vehicles, it can be easy to mistake the Service Required or Tire Pressure light for the Check Engine light. Your RAM 1500 owner’s manual has a guide to dashboard lights if you need a refresher.
- Check Your Gas Cap: Many are surprised when they hear this can trigger a RAM 1500 Check Engine Light. Luckily, it’s a simple fix! Simply unscrew your gas cap and take care to replace it properly. After doing so, you can reset your light by disconnecting the battery as stated above. If the light stays on, then the gas cap isn’t the issue.
- Check the Codes: Error codes trigger check engine lights so you can diagnose the issue. You can examine these error codes with an automotive diagnostic scanner, known as an ODB2 scanner. You can purchase one of these code readers is you’re planning on doing all your own work, but San Leandro or Walnut Creek area drivers can always leave it to the certified auto techs at McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
Rely on the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram Service Experts at McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Computer systems control nearly every part of your vehicle, so it can be difficult for inexperienced mechanics to diagnose problems and fix them. If you run into any issues, you can always trust the certified technicians at McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram to ensure you get the job done right. Schedule a service appointment with our team and we’ll get your car, truck, or SUV back on the road in no time.
Before you visit McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, explore our current service specials and parts specials to see how you can save when you visit our service center near Fremont. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions! We’ll help keep your car on the road whether it’s a Ram 1500 lease or a Dodge Durango lease deal! Also be sure to learn more about available Jeep Cherokee trim levels and the diesel RAM 1500.
Learn More with McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Looking to further improve the capability of your new Jeep Wrangler? McKevitt Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram offers a range of 2019 Jeep Wrangler accessories to help make this legendary SUV even more capable and comfortable. From roof-top cargo solutions to additional performance parts, we offer all of the MOPAR accessories you need to ensure your new Wrangler is as…
Critics and consumers alike rave about the capability and convenience of the Jeep Cherokee. Just why do San Leandro area drivers love it so much? It’s in large part due to the many available Cherokee trim levels, which offer a wide range of comfort, connectivity, and capability. Find which Cherokee trim level offers everything you need…
Resetting the check engine light on a RAM 1500 is easier than you may think! Just follow these three simple steps to reset your RAM 1500 check engine light: Disconnect the cable from your negative battery terminal Wait for at least 20 minutes Reconnect your battery cable By following these steps, you will reset the…
With models like the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing up to 7,200 pounds and 2019 Jeep Wrangler towing up to 3,500 pounds, you may be Googling “off-road trails near me” so you can hitch up the trailer and head out for a weekend of camping and off-roading on Berkeley trails in your lifted Wrangler. That’s…
The 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers one V6 engine and three V8 engines. Properly equipped, it can tow up to 7,200 pounds — not much less than the powerful Dodge Durango. Learn more about the Jeep Grand Cherokee towing capacity below, as well as its four potent engines. Then, check out the new Grand Cherokee…